Tuesday 18 October 2011

Tutorial

It is easy to forget that the main reason or focus and purpose of being here is my university studies. Although mainly recently I have been preoccupied in getting used to living here, the everyday necessities of eating, shopping, washing clothes etc, a lot of other time has been spent seeing.

Most days have included a run in the neighbourhood or a cycle further afield, either to a specific destination or just to see what I find. These are beneficial activities of course but in some ways not directly related to my studies.

However, the whole experience of being here IS what it is about. I haven´t yet thought deeply about what exactly I want from this experience (something which I need to now focus on). I think by now I know how to take responsibility for my own learning and decide what to do and how to make it count.

So, today we had a tutorial for our tutor to see what we had been doing and what our plans for the semester were.

In my studio space there is nothing.

But this is not a problem, sometime ago I would have felt quite bad about that but right now, it is not important.

I have instead been out seeing, taking plenty of photographs, making this blog and slowly filling up my sketchbook. This is, for me, a much better use of my time here. I want to have a great deal of drawn work and images to take back in January to develop in my second semester. I want to see things and experience life here and just enjoy the moment, the opportunity.



Streetlight - sketchbook study


No comments:

Post a Comment