Friday 21 October 2011

Osaka

Yesterday was a trip to Osaka. It is, I think, the second largest city in Japan. Just 30 mins on express train away from Kyoto, it was a good day trip. First I had to work out the ticket buying and platform finding, but wasn´t too much of a hassle and got there without too much of a fuss. On arriving had a few difficulties finding the tourist information to get a map, but once that was done, I set off to explore.

I really wanted to see some contemporary art. Kyoto is great but quite a traditional place. Whilst there are places to see modern art, the Museum of Modern Art doesn´t seem to have much past 1920.

On the way to the gallery, I saw plenty of bento box stalls on the street. Bento box is a packed lunch variety box thing a lot of people buy for lunch. Looks like this:



The gallery was great, had a good discount for students and I spent a few hours there. And just when you think you have done something original..... you see it done by someone else (although in a different way...)




I then walked A LOT. I stopped to buy a picnic (I love how they give you chopsticks and a fork as you are western! sweet!) and sat in a great park in the sun... bliss (I even had a siesta).

Osaka is great - feels like a proper city. I know some people hate that but it is just my kind of place. I do like Kyoto but Osaka has more of a fast pace vibe to it.

Definitely will be visiting again to see more, one day was not enough.



Giraffe pile driver truck thing


No comments:

Post a Comment