Tuesday 22 November 2011

Holiday and Tokyo

Last week I went away on holiday as Dani visited me. We spent most of the time in Tokyo... after a few days in Kyoto seeing some sights we took a night bus to Tokyo - this not only saves on time but the expense of a nights accommodation...I would have loved to go by Shinkansen, bullet train, but it is a really expensive way to travel... maybe one day...

We had a little luxury though, booking slightly more expensive seats - cocoon seats...




I´d say even with the extra leg room, still wasn´t quite enough by European standards! But we slept a bit and arrived dazed in Tokyo at 6.30am....

Allegedly a 24 hour city, it took us a while to find a coffee shop which was open so early but eventually we did and our day started.

Plenty of sightseeing and MUCH walking.



View from the Metropolitan Government Building



Tokyo Tower


By sticking to one set of subway trains, slightly less confusing (and a bit cheaper too) we still had one time when we changed platform 3 times to get the right train (3 platforms for the same train line, they were out to confuse us)



Swinging arm roadworks sign


Imperial Palace Gardens


More interesting lamp-posts!


We even managed to find a Scottish bar, in case I had any home-sickness... we did go in, it was quite amusing - at least there were no bagpipe or country dancing music... still they DID sell cider, which is the first time I have seen it here (still at 600 Yen a half-pint, I won´t be back)




I enjoyed Tokyo, it was quite like I had expected - very big, and a little crazy. I think it is my kind of city but really it is so big, I am sure it would get tiring in the long run. I like where I am based in Kyoto but I think Tokyo is more my kind of place. What was interesting as well - even in the city you could find quiet, people seem to respect that and it is not the rush rush like you find in other grand cities of the world.

Finally after returning by night bus to Kyoto we spent the last night in Osaka... a little too late to make it when the castle was open but provided us with a good evening walk.








No comments:

Post a Comment